A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint.... What I began by reading, I must finish by acting. ~Henry David Thoreau
Our ministry at Steward Ship is to help you see the importance of delighting your child and help them develop a love for learning. The unit study method of teaching is just a "vehicle" to help you accomplish this goal. The tools in this section are the fundamental requirements for using unit studies successfully. If you don't buy anything else from us, these are the resources you should have.
Everything You Need to Know About
Homeschool Unit Studies
By Jennifer Steward
This book is the "why and how" of unit studies. It explains and contrasts different teaching methods, will help you evaluate and develop your philosophy of education, choose a method, understand the two key elements of unit studies
(Read Aloud the Notebook Project) and incorporate subjects into your studies. You will discover different unit study choices (which include: purchasing a complete unit study curriculum, using a prepared topical guide, or creating your own), how to plan unit studies using our QUICK EASY STRESS FREE PLANNING METHOD
, choose materials, do unit studies in high school, use the public library, build your own home library, choose living books, participate in co-op groups, fit subjects into unit studies, delight your students and well, just about everything!
Everything You Need to Build a Unit Study Notebook
The Notebook package is the "why and how" of notebooks—the second key element in unit studies. The idea with NOTEBOOKS
is to have a project to center each unit study around. It not only provides a place for students to compile and organize their work, but also becomes a permanent record of accomplishments AND
something they can call their own which helps them become more enthusiastic about their
Our two part notebook packet provides:
1. An instructional guide listing the benefits of using notebooks with all your studies PLUS pages and pages filled with ideas for assignments and activities you can use with K-12 students. This guide shows you what kind of binders or folders to use, how to design a cover, how to use section dividers and more.
2. A "masters" packet with 50+ masters to photocopy and use in your notebooks including tabbed section dividers, thematic writing paper, section divider designs, a vocabulary sheet, a planning sheet, an assignment sheet, a newspaper, wanted poster, timeline, scroll and more.
Developing a Love for Learning
Through Unit Studies: The Audio Tape
This audio tape features Jennifer Steward presenting a workshop on the unit study method, highlighting the material contained in her book, Everything You Need to Know About Homeschool Unit Studies
The tape is approximately 60 minutes long!
Notebook Tips - N- Tools
- We like using 1" view binders for our notebooks. These can be purchased inexpensively at Costco warehouse stores.
- We use bright colored cardstock for section dividers. Cut your own tabs on one side at varying lengths or use stick on tabs which you can buy in packets. Write subjects on each tab or use the computer to type them. You can also buy ready made tabbed dividers.
- Our kids love to have theirs close-by to look through them or add items they find later. We store ours in a back and forth fashion in a plastic file cube under the children's beds. When your collection expands beyond your space, place a clip ring in top hole, remove from binder and place in large, gold envelope and store in file boxes!
Three Hole Punch
- Having one of these tools on hand is a MUST for notebooks. Other needed items and extras: glue sticks, scissors, stickers, decorative "theme" paper and sheet protectors (for special papers - purchase in bulk!).
- we try to organize school work by subjects. When I write an Assignment Sheet I arrange by subject so students can place them in the correct section as they complete each assignment. ALSO - place clear zipper pouch in the front of present notebook project complete with scissors, glue stick and pencil. This way students always have tools at hand.
See more products available from Steward Ship!